Looking ahead to 2022
(December 2021 Newsletter)
We realize it isn’t even Christmas yet, but we wanted to let you know what we have planned for the 2022 season. Of course, we know Psalm 16:9, “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.”
Because of the slow start of getting ministries off the ground due to COVID, plus the ages of our children and their schooling, and by the suggestion of World Gospel Mission, we have decided to extend our stay on the Southwest Ministry Field until June 2023.
There are five areas of ministry that we will be focusing on in 2022:
(1) Camps Currently we have five camps scheduled for 2022 along with a weekend training planned to help teenagers learn to be Christ-like leaders. The ministry provides camping experiences throughout the year that change lives through Christ-centered camp programming. With the help of donations, we provide an affordable camp opportunity to Native American children and youth so that they can have fun and learn how much Jesus loves them!
(2) Follow-Up Continuing the conversations that were started at camp is crucial to keep children and youth focused on Jesus. Communication with campers is done through follow-up text messages and devotionals. The devotionals are mailed out monthly and are specifically geared toward the messages shared at camp.
(3) Camp Chat Camp chat is an online Bible study that is held twice a month. It is an opportunity to keep in contact with campers who might live in a remote area. Interested campers log on to visit with each other, play a game, and have a Bible study. Campers are currently learning about the parables of Jesus. This has been a wonderful opportunity to stay connected to campers and deepen relationships.
(4) Youth Group There are many Native American children and youth who live near the Phoenix metro area. Youth Group is an opportunity for those who live within an hour’s drive to get together for some in-person activities. Our first gathering was held on a Saturday afternoon. The campers who lived within an hour drive of the ministry center met for silly games, a craft, lunch, Bible study, and ice cream sundaes. Our next event is coming up soon and plans include a field trip to a trampoline park along with pizza, a Bible study, and a white elephant gift exchange.
(5) Operation Christmas Child We were appointed by Samaritan’s Purse as the Southern Arizona District Discipleship & Prayer Coordinators. Along with another missionary couple and a Native pastor, we will be training Native American churches to hold a Gospel event where the shoeboxes are distributed to children. Following this event, the children are invited back for 13 consecutive weeks for a discipleship class. Again, our responsibilities include training the churches how to conduct these 13 lessons. We are very excited about this opportunity that God has given us to expand the kingdom.
We pray that you have a very Merry Christmas as we look forward to a New Year!
Doug & Becky
We need a few new monthly supporters. If you have ever considered giving on a regular basis, this is the time. We would ask you to earnestly pray about joining our team. The amount isn’t important, but knowing the monthly amount coming in allows us to plan for future events. Would you like to help spread the Gospel to the youth of the Southwest? Join us!